Saturday, May 28, 2016

Using iPads ti Improve the Social Skills of Children with Autism


I have not had any experience with someone with autism. I know that going into the teaching field I will soon. I need to prepare now and educate myself on ways to help my future students the best way I can. Using iPads to improve the social skills of children with Autism is an amazing way to increase student success. One way we, as teachers, can help our students is to create social stories with iPads that can assist students with Autism learn how to respond in situations. Social Stories can be made with paper, but there are apps that can be personalized and adapted to each individual student. The Social Express is a pricey app, but the benefits are great. I would use this app for all students to reinforce effective social skills. The animations are fabulous. They have interactive elements to them. Students can watch a situation and decide the best response to the situation. There is an option of printing pages about feeling, coping strategies, and awards for achievement. Students may identify with the characters and teachers can personalize them for individual students.
Autism AAC iPad App: TapToTalk Review
TapToTalk is an app that aids students that cannot verbalize their needs. It can be used on apple or android devices. It has a large free album that gives students the opportunity to communicate their needs, feelings, and thoughts.  There is an option to purchase a more extensive vocabulary album. I would use this for my nonverbal students.
8 Free iPad Games For Math Skill Development In Children With Autism
Here are 8 Free iPad Games for Math are beneficial for teaching basic math skills to students with autism. I would use decide which one to use depending on the needs of my students.
free ipad game for math autism
I would use mathmateer as a fun way to teach multiplication, addition, shapes, and money counting through building their own rocket ship.
Here are 20 apps that are free to help children with autism. My non autistic 3 year old loves some of these apps. I can see how these would benefit all students.
Here is a video on Proloquo2Go. It has a lot of great ideas on how to utilize their software. This is a way to transform iPads into communication  AAC devices for children with autism. Here is a link to download the app on iTunes.
I would use all of these apps in my classroom depending on the specific needs of my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment